Today’s Eggplant Pizza Bites is one of my husband’s favourites! I enjoy making this too because not only is this easy to make but it’s so versatile on what you put on it! You can pretty much make it however you like! So for this one, I actually am going to do a step by step with you! This is a first for me! It’s fairly easy!
This one I particularly made had chicken in it for the added protein. This dish could easily be vegetarian by not adding any meat whatsoever, but this time I added chicken to make it more of a wholesome meal and it was a great way for me to add more flavour as I was trying to experiment with turmeric (it’s a great anti-inflammatory ingredient). I used about half a tablespoon olive oil and let it heat up a bit (but not too hot). I threw in some minced garlic to flavour up the oil and to give some aroma. I love the smell of cooked garlic! When the garlic is tender, I added the chicken. I used skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut up into thin slices. I seasoned it with turmeric, oregano, thyme, and salt and pepper with some lemon juice. Once the chicken is no longer pink inside, take it out of the pan and drain out the oil and set it aside for now.
[NOTE] An alternative is to use the pre-cooked, pre-sliced chicken breast that you can buy as a package from your grocery store! This saves you in cooking time and usually you can already buy them in different seasonings like Italian seasoned or BBQ. If you have these on hand, this is great![/NOTE]
Take your eggplant and slice it up about half an inch thick. There will be different sizes since the eggplant itself is not one same size over all. I still put the smaller ones in there. If you just want to try it out if it’s your first time, then one eggplant should be enough. I actually used 2 eggplants and it gave me about 12 slices. Take your slices and place them on a baking sheet laid out like in the picture above. With your tomato sauce, spread it over each slice just like a regular pizza!
So before you start adding things on, this would be a good time to preheat your oven to 350°F. You can now add in the chicken you just cooked. Use a fork or thongs if you need to because it may still be hot from the pan! Fit however much you want on each slice, providing you have enough for each slice.
For me, this is the best part – adding your toppings! I added some sliced bell peppers, chopped scallions, diced red onions and I topped it off with cheese. I kept the cheese amount pretty minimal because I’m trying to keep it low on dairy and because the fat content is already coming from the chicken. It looks pretty and still tastes good even without the cheese! Like I said, you can put whatever you like.
This is a great meal to make when you have minimal ingredients on hand. If I didn’t have any tomato sauce, I would have just used fresh tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes since I normally have those on hand all the time. The main reason I make them out of eggplant is because, of course, it’s healthier and it keeps things low carb. Another variation could be that if you don’t want them as pizzas, you can make them into a sandwich by easily topping it with another slice of eggplant on top!
Eggplant Pizza Bites
Eggplant Pizza Bites
- Large Eggplant (about half an inch thick)
- Bell Pepper (I only used one, your color of choice)
- Red Onions – diced (I only used about a quarter)
- Tomato Sauce of choice
- 0.5 TBSPN olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Chicken Thighs – skinless/boneless (you can also use pre-packaged pre-sliced, pre-cooked chicken breast)
- Cheese – however much you want for topping
- Salt/Pepper – season to taste
- Heat up the frying pan with the olive oil. When it’s a bit hot, add in minced garlic and sautee.
- Add in the chicken and cook until inside is no longer pink. This should be about 10 to 15 minutes. When it’s cooked, remove from pan and drain out the oil and fats. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Slice up the eggplant into half an inch slices and place on a baking sheet and spread the tomato sauce over each slice.
- Add in the chicken slices to each eggplance slice, fitting however much you want or can depending on whether you have enough for each slice.
- Add in your toppings of choice (in this particular recipe, bell pepper slices, diced onions, and chopped scallions).
- Top off with cheese to how much you like
- Place baking pan in the oven for about 15-20 minutes until eggplant is nice and tender and cheese is melted